Monday 12 December 2011

Herman The Friendship Cake - La torta dell'amicizia

Dear Tatina,
I am really pleased that you enjoyed York so much! I agree that York does have something magical, so much history within its city walls, it's really fascinating. I am happy we went together, we've had a fun day walking around the shops and snapping loads of pictures, didn't we? I love our friendship and if you were not 1200 miles away today I would have shared some of my Herman's cake with you! You may be wondering what that is about...let's start from the beginning...

Last Saturday when I met up with a few friends for some birthday drinks I was given a tub of yoghurt by my friend Clare. The tub contained some cake mixture, I am not joking! Her mum heard about this friendship cake and she decided to have a go at it.

The cake is made of living yeast which takes nine days to make, I have been looking around online and found several versions of how you actually start it: one of them says to sprinkle some sugar over about 1/3 of a cup of warm water, you then sprinkle 2 tbsp of active dry yeast and let it stand in a warm place to double in size. 

When I got home last week I transferred the mix into a large bowl and covered it loosely with a clean teatowel.
Herman bubbling away

For the next 2 days I have been stirring the mixture a couple of times a day, then on day 4 Herman was hungry (!) so I added 1 cup of flour, 1 cup of milk and 1 cup of sugar. I kept stirring the mixture every day for the next 4 days, until day 9 when I added the previous same ingredients as Herman was hungry again and I then divided the mixture into 3 or 4 equal portions and gave them away to friends with instructions on how to feed Herman the cake. Day 10 is finally baking day, or shall I say Herman goes on holiday to a very hot resort: the oven! 

I changed slightly Clare's instructions and I added:

1 cup sugar
2 cups plain flour
2 eggs
2 tsp cinnamon
2 tsp vanilla essence
2 tsp baking powder
150g melted butter (should have been 1/2 cup oil )
1 cup raisins
1/2 cup almonds
1 packet choc chips

I mixed it all together and poured it in a loaf tin, sprinkled some brown sugar over the top and then baked in the oven for 35-40 min at 170°-180° C. I actually had quite a bit left so I did put the rest into another cake mould, ring shaped, so I made 2 Herman cakes!





Et voilà, Herman the Friendship cake is finally here! Stuart said he was not convinced about the fact it takes 10 days to make and didn't want to try it, but as soon as he smelt it coming out of the oven he changed his mind :-)

-----------------------------------------------
 

Cara Tatina,
sono così felice che ti sia piaciuta York! Ha davvero qualcosa di magico, vero? Ci siamo proprio divertite e non scorderò facilmente quella domenica trascorsa assieme!
Tanto per restare in tema d'amicizia, oggi volevo parlarti di Herman, la torta dell'amicizia!
Due sabati fa, quando sono uscita per festeggiare il mio compleanno, mi son incontrata con degli amici e Clare mi ha regalato questo vasetto di yoghurt che conteneva un miscuglio biancastro e, a dirti la verità, un po' puzzolente...Clare inizia a darmi le istruzioni per la torta dell'amicizia, mi dice che ci vogliono 10 giorni prima di infornarla e che una volta arrivata a casa avrei dovuto mettere l'impasto in una terrina bella capiente, senza metterla in frigo e coprendola solo con un canavaccio.

Per i due giorni seguenti le istruzioni dicevano di mescolare l'impasto, ogni volta che scoprivo la terrina, Herman (questo il nome della torta!) aveva fatto un sacco di bolle...il quarto giorno Herman aveva fame, così ho aggiunto latte, farina e zucchero, poi di nuovo l'ho lasciato riposare, mescolandolo ogni giorno finchè il nono giorno, quando ho aggiunto di nuovo gli stessi ingredienti e poi ho diviso il mix in 4 parti uguali, ne ho date via 3 e ne ho tenuto una che ho arricchito con altri ingredienti:

2 tazze di farina
2 uova
2 cucchiaini di cannella
2 cucchiaini di essenza di vaniglia
2 cucchiaini  di lievito
150g burro sciolto (l'ho usato al posto di 1/2 tazza di olio)
1 tazza di uvetta
1/2 tazza di mandorle
1 pacchetto di goccie di cioccolato

Ho mescolato tutto per bene e ho versato l'impasto in due teglie, una a forma di plumcake e una a forma di ciambella,  ho spolverato sopra un po' di zucchero di canna e finalmente ho infornato Herman a 170°-180° C per 35-40 minuti.


Non sono riuscita a resistere ad assaggiarne un pezzettino, era così  morbido e fragrante appena sfornato! Che bontà!


No comments:

Post a Comment